2. confusedly, chaotically, aimlessly, unsystematically, unmethodically, erratically, haphazardly, irregularly, unevenly; topsy-turvy, higgledy-piggledy, hugger-mugger, arsy-varsy, Inf. willy-nilly, Inf. every which way; in confusion, in disorder, in disarray, in a jumble, in a tumble, in a muddle, in a mess, all over the place; here, there, and everywhere.
-n. 3. confusion, disorder, turmoil, moil, chaos, pandemonium, bedlam, hugger-mugger.
-adj. 4. confused, chaotic, muddled, jumbled, hugger-mugger, higgledy-piggledy, topsy-turvy, SI. arsy-varsy.
5. disorderly, disordered, disarranged, deranged; unorganized, disorganized, unmethodical, unsystematic; irregular, indiscriminate, haphazard, random, aimless, pell-mell, hit-or-miss, hem, v. 1. Usu. hem in circumscribe, surround, encircle, circle, encompass, environ; gird, engird, girdle, belt; circumvent, trap; close in, shut in, hedge in, pen in, keep within bounds, demarcate.
2. fringe, befringe, trim; bind; purfle, purl.
3. border, edge, skirt, verge; frame, bound, margin, marginate.
-n. 4. fringe, trimming, edging, bordering; ruff, ruffle, flounce, furbelow; frill, valance, orphrey, purfle.
5. border, perimeter, periphery, edge, rim, verge, skirt; circumference, circuit, compass, ambit, margin, frame, outline, confine; brink, brim, brow; bound, limit, bourn, pale, extremity.
he-man, n. powerhouse, brute, a real man, muscle man, Inf. bruiser, SI. hunk, SI. jock, Brit. SI. bucko; Titan, Goliath, Samson; Hercules, Atlas, Tarzan, Man Mountain Dean, hence, adv. therefore, thus, ergo; consequently, consequentially, inferentially, subsequently; inevitably, naturally, accordingly, logically; wherefore, whence, thence.
henceforth, adv. henceforward, from now on, from this day on, hereafter, hereinafter; in time to come, later on, subsequently, tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow.
henchman, n. 1. underling, subordinate, second banana, lackey, flunky, SI. gofer, U.S. ward heeler, tool; hanger-on, camp follower, parasite, sponger; bootlicker, lickspittle, yes-man, toady, sycophant; SI. hit man, gun slinger, SI. gunsel, hired killer or gun; trigger-man, hatchet man, torpedo, assassin; mobster, mafioso, SI. mafooch; thug, hoodlum, SI. hood, gangster, Ku Kluxer, Ku Klux Klanner; racketeer, goon, SI. scab, bullyboy, tough, roughneck; weasel, worm.
2. attendant, aide, counselor, advisor, privy councilor, liege; confidante, member of the kitchen cabinet, right-hand man, good right arm; friend, ally, sidekick, pal, partner, SI. pard, Little John, man Friday, Tonto, colleague; champion, supporter, backer; disciple, follower, votary, acolyte, henpeck, v. browbeat, bully, hector; lord it over, domineer, keep on a tight rein, keep at one's beck and call; treat like dirt, cut up, emasculate, castrate; nag, SI. jaw, chide, rebuke, scold; criticize, find fault, niggle, carp, cavil; complain, grouse, grumble, mumble, mutter, whine, yammer.
henpecked, adj. bullied, browbeaten, dominated, subjugated, led around by the nose, on a leash; spineless, acquiescent, having no mind of one's own, cringing, cowering; like Casper Milquetoast, timid, meek, Mittyish, docile; spaniel-like, herald, n. 1. messenger, envoy, runner, advance-