legerdemain, n. 1. sleight of hand, jugglery, juggling, prestidigitation, conjuring, hocus-pocus; magic, trickery, thaumaturgy.
2. deception, deceit, dissimulation, duplicity, dark and crooked ways, evil ways; fraud, cheating, chicane; trumpery, dupery, fraudulence, shenanigan; craft, wiles, finesse, Inf. razzle-dazzle, cozenage, doubledealing; chicanery, knavery, Inf. hanky-panky, Sl. funny business, Sl. monkey business.
3. trick, stratagem, ruse, Trojan horse, artifice, pretense, Obs. cog; contrivance, subterfuge, misrepresentation; fake, sham, hoax, swindle, shuck, feint; imposture, imposition, humbug, Inf. flimflam, Inf. flam; falsehood, fib, untruth, prevarication.
legerdemainist, n. prestidigitator, sleight of hand artist, juggler; magician, trickster, wizard, conjurer; theater artist, theatrical performer, artiste, artist.
legerity, n. 1. agility, nimbleness, deftness, dexterousness, light-footedness, spryness, Dial, gainliness; grace, coordination, suppleness, litheness; alacrity, celerity, quickness, fleetness, fleet-footedness, swiftness, rapidity; liveliness, sprightliness, aliveness, briskness, dapperness.
2. alertness, smartness, cleverness, quick-wittedness, wittiness; originality, brilliance.
leggings, n. 1. chaps, (in Mexico) chaparajos, gambados, galligaskins, leg harness; gaiter, spats, spatterdashes, puttee, putty, puttie; leg wrap, bandage, covering, protection; All Armor, greaves, jambos, jambart, jambear, cuisse, poleyn.
2. snow pants, overalls, heavy or warm pants, woolens; trousers, pants, slacks, breeches; tights, pantyhose, hose, stockings.
legibility, n. 1. readability, readableness, decipherability, ease of reading, easiness on the eyes, legibleness; neatness, cleanness, tidiness, evenness, regularity, severity; clearness, clarity, lucidity, lucidness, perspicuity, plainness, simplicity; explicitness, preciseness, precision, exactness, definiteness, distinctness, clear-cutness; discernibleness, perceptibility, apprehensibility; coherence, cogency, comprehensibility, intelligibility, intelligibleness, understandability, understandableness, penetrability.
2. vividness, graphicness, boldness, visibility, visibleness, obviousness, apparentness, evidence, manifestness, palpability, patentability.
legible, adj. 1. readable, easy to read, easily read, decipherable, capable of being made out; neat, clean, tidy, even, regular, well-written, sure-handed, carefully printed, painstakingly inscribed, typed; clear, clear as day, plain, plain as day, simple, perspicuous, lucid; distinct, definite, precise, explicit, express, certain.
2. discernible, perceptible, apprehensible, ascertainable, distinguishable, recognizable; coherent, cogent, intelligible, comprehensible, comprehendible, understandable, salient.
legion, n. 1. army, brigade, regiment, battalion, company, squadron; troop, corps, phalanx, squad, tribe, band; division, unit, detachment.
2. host, throng, crowd, horde, drove, Inf. caboodle, Inf. kit and caboodle; mass, pack, gang, mob, rabble; group, bevy, flock, gaggle, swarm, herd, school, shoal; lot, multitude, abundance, plenitude, profusion, myriad, array.
legionary, n. soldier, military man, cavalryman, infantryman, foot soldier; fighting man, warrior, Inf cannon fodder.
legislate, v. 1. make laws, enact laws, pass laws, formulate laws, establish laws; ordain, put in force, constitute, constitutionalize; authorize, prescribe, fix, set, establish, charter, formulate, formalize, regulate, codify.