Security, Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps; unemployment compensation, Inf. unemployment. well1, adv. 1. prosperously, profitably, advantageously, beneficially; fortunately, happily, auspiciously.
2. commendably, worthily, laudably, meritoriously; excellently, superbly, splendidly, Inf. famously, in fine fashion, with flying colors.
3. satisfactorily, considerably, adequately; sufficiently, enough, O.K.
4. thoroughly, soundly, backwards and forwards, inside out; intimately, personally; carefully, conscientiously, attentively.
5. properly, correctly, rightly, suitably; civilly, nicely, politely.
6. undoubtedly, certainly, unquestionably; obviously, plainly, clearly.
-adj. 7. healthy, sound, in fine fettle, fit, physically fit, in good health; fine, ruddy, vigorous, hale, hearty, hale and hearty, robust, bursting with health.
8. satisfactory, fine, acceptable, O.K.; prosperous, flourishing, thriving, palmy, successful; promising, bright, fortunate, auspicious. well1, n. 1. spring, wellhead, headspring, springhead; fountainhead, fountain, fount, Archaic, font; wellspring, reservoir, source, mine; hotbed.
2. pit, shaft, crater, abyss, crevasse; depression, hollow, concavity.
-v. 3. spring, gush, flow, stream, run, ooze, trickle; pour forth, issue, emanate; surge, swell, rush forth; spurt, spout, jet; flood, overflow, brim over, spill over or out; emit, send forth, eject. well-balanced, adj. 1. sensible, sane, rational, reasonable; prudent, judicious, circumspect, thoughtful; sober, moderate, cool, cool-headed, level-headed; sound, commonsense, commonsensical, practical, down-to-earth, realistic; intelligent, discerning, discriminating; (both of personality) well-adjusted, SI. together.
2. symmetrical, well-proportioned, proportional, balanced; harmonious, concinnous, congruous; orderly, well-ordered, well-arranged, classic, apollonian; graceful, well-formed, well-made.
3. varied, diversified; motley, mixed, heterogeneous, well-being, n. See welfare (def 1). well-born, adj. highborn, aristocratic, patrician, blue-blooded, silk-stocking; noble, gentle, genteel; royal, princely, kingly, titled, well-bred, adj. 1. well-brought-up, well-trained, well-mannered, well-behaved, highbred; polite, civil, mannerly, courteous; gracious, ladylike, ladyish, courtly, gentlemanly, gentlemanlike; debonair, charming, chivalrous, chivalric, gallant, cavalier.
2. refined, cultivated, polished, finished; elegant, graceful, Scot. genty, genteel, fine, delicate, exquisite; urbane, suave, sophisticated, cosmopolitan, worldly.
3. (all of animals) thoroughbred, pedigreed, purebred. well-defined, adj. clear, clear-cut, unmistakable, conspicuous, salient, obvious, evident; defined, distinct, discernible, recognizable, well-marked, vivid, graphic; unhidden, undisguised, unconcealed; perceptible, distinguishable, visible, audible; sharp, clean, uncluttered, unblurred, well-established, adj. 1. fixed, set, rooted, grounded, ingrained, entrenched, inveterate; long-established, established, longstanding, of long standing, traditional; venerable, time-honored, hallowed, immemorial.
2. stable, steady, sound, sturdy; dependable, reliable, trustworthy.