phean, ineffective, inefficacious; fruitless, unproductive, abortive, barren, sterile, impotent, effete; unprofitable, profitless, unsuccessful, to no purpose, to no avail, for naught.
3. fatuous, foolish, silly, brainless, irrational; senseless, feckless, infatuated,
nugget, n. chunk, lump, mass, Inf hunk, clump, wad, squab, Inf. hunch,
nuisance, n. 1. pest, bother, Inf. headache, Inf. pain, SI. pain in the neck or rear, SI. hassle, vexation, annoyance; irritant, bur, thorn in the side or flesh, pea in the shoe.
2. gadfly, buttonholer; bore, crashing bore, frightful bore, proser, twaddler, dryasdust; wet blanket, SI. drip, SI. pill, SI. deadhead, SI. flat tire, SI. retread.
3. inconvenience, disadvantage, handicap; trouble, problem, worry, affliction, difficulty; trial, tribulation, ordeal; load, burden, weight, heavy load or burden.
null, adj. 1. ineffectual, inoperative, valueless, worthless, no-good, good-for-nothing, Inf. noaccount, inconsequential; insignificant, trifling, trivial, piddling, immaterial; purposeless, baseless, groundless; insubstantial, unsubstantial, jejune; unavailing, futile, vain, nugatory, useless, inutile, bootless; impotent, barren, sterile, powerless, unproductive, inefficacious, unsuccessful, abortive.
2. nonexistent, inexistent, nonsubsistent; negative, minus, omitted; unprofitable, unremunerative; blank, empty, clear, bare, hollow, vacuous; senseless, inane, foolish.
3. null and void annulled, nullified, repealed, abolished, revoked, rescinded; invalid, disestablished, cancelled, discharged; renounced, repudiated, disclaimed, disavowed.
4. annihilated, obliterated, destroyed, extinguished, eradicated, exterminated, expunged, extirpated; terminated, dissolved, eliminated, effaced.
nullification, n. 1. annulment, annulling, disan-nulment, voidance, avoidance, Law. defeasance; quashing, invalidation, vitiation, Obs. vacatur, disen-actment, disestablishment, setting aside; cancellation, discharge; repeal, revoking, revocation, rescinding, rescission, reversal, abrogation, abolishment, abolition; suspension, Law. nolle prosequi, stopping, discontinuance, cessation.
2. recantation, retraction, retractation, abjuration, withdrawal, recall; renouncement, renunciation, repudiation, relinquishment, abnegation; denial, negation, disclaimer, disclamation, disavowal; taking back, undoing, Cards, renege; countermand, countermanding, counterorder, overruling, overriding, veto.
3. neutralization, frustration; counterpoise, offsetting, counterbalance, counteraction, contravention, contradiction.
4. termination, dissolution, putting an end to, doing away with, bringing to an end; elimination, destruction, extinguishment, effacement, wiping out; obliteration, annihilation, eradication, expunging, extirpation, extermination; blotting out, stamping out, crushing out, sweeping away.
nullify, v. 1. annul, disannul, declare null and void, render null and void, void, avoid; quash, invalidate, vitiate, vacate, disenact, disestablish; cancel, discharge; supersede, set aside; repeal, revoke, rescind, reverse, abrogate, abolish; suspend, Law. nol-pros, stop, discontinue, break off.
2. recant, retract, abjure, unsay, withdraw, recall; renounce, repudiate, relinquish, abnegate, deny, disclaim, disavow, disown; take back, undo, renege; countermand, counterorder, overrule, override; veto, negate.