round trip; itinerary, peregrination, trek, pilgrimage, hadj; safari, expedition, shoot, stalk; jaunt, airing, outing, ride, drive; ramble, walk, promenade, stroll, perambulation, amble.
2. round, circuit, ambit, circle, cycle, orbit; beat, round, lap, loop, turn; course, track, route, run.
-v. 3. travel, sightsee, visit; go on the road, Inf. hit the trail, campaign; cruise, voyage, sail, Inf. globetrot; peregrinate, wayfare, jaunt, trek,
tourist, n. visitor, Inf. out-of-towner, foreign visitor, sightseer, Inf. rubberneck; traveler, voyager, journeyer, excursionist, Brit. Inf. tripper, globetrotter, world traveler, jet setter,
tousled, adj. disheveled, rumpled, mussed or mussed up, messed up, unkempt, blowzy; windblown, uncombed, Inf. every which way; disordered, disarranged, disarrayed, untidy, messy, sloppy, slovenly, slatternly.
tout, v. Informal. 1. solicit, ask or ask for, request, apply for, seek or seek for; call upon, appeal to, implore, beseech, entreat, plead, beg, Brit. Inf. prig, pray, crave; petition, supplicate, obtest, adjure, conjure, Rare, sue; urge, press, importune, insist, demand; accost, approach, come up to on the street, SI. hustle.
2. praise, laud, extol, cry up, talk up; boast of or about, brag about, vaunt; blow up, magnify, exaggerate, Inf. crack up, Inf. make out, make bigger than life, puff up, enlarge, aggrandize, Inf. blow all out of proportion; belaud, make much of, lionize; glorify, exalt, idolize, idealize, put on a pedestal; eulogize, panegyrize, praise to high heaven; acclaim, cheer, celebrate, congratulate, Archaic, gratulate; applaud, clap; compliment, flatter, Inf. pat on the back, hand it to [s.o.], give [s.o.] credit.
3. give a tip on, Inf. tip [s.o.] off, give [s.o.] inside information. Inf. give [s.o.] inside info, give [s.o.] the word, Inf. give [s.o.] the low-down, Inf. give [s.o.] the scoop, SI. give [s.o.] the dope.
4. watch, spy on, keep an eye on; investigate, Inf. check out, SI. case.
tow, v. drag, pull, haul, tug, yank, lug, trail, trawl; transport, convey, Inf. tote, carry,
toward, prep. 1. towards, in the direction of, on the road to, on the way to; straight for, in a line with.
2. for, in order to get or obtain, in order to attain.
3. in the area of, in the vicinity of, near, near to, close to; turned to, facing.
4. shortly before, just before, right before, soon before, close to; near or near to, near about, nearly, nigh; almost, about, just about, not quite, practically; approximately, roughly.
5. with respect to, as regards, in or with regard to, anent, regarding, concerning, in reference to, apropos of, about.
-adj. 6. imminent, impending, near or close at hand, just about or almost here, about to happen, going to happen soon, likely to occur at any moment, momentary, upon us.
7. going on, happening, in progress, afoot, astir.
8. propitious, favorable, auspicious, opportune, apt, appropriate, timely, seasonable, good, right, perfect, lucky, fortunate, providential; promising, bright, roseate, rosy, encouraging, looking up, optimistic, Inf. upbeat. tower, n. 1. minaret, obelisk, pagoda, pyramid; steeple, spire, Archit. fldche, turret, Fr. tourelle; campanile, belltower, belfry; cupola, dome, onion dome; column, pillar, shaft; skyscraper, high rise.
2. citadel, fortress, bastille, fortification, acropolis, castle, stronghold, refuge; prison, dungeon, keep,