extensive, adj. 1. spacious, extended, expanded, expansive; ample, capacious, voluminous, roomy, commodious; broad, wide, widespread, spread out, outspread, stretched out, outstretched.
2. comprehensive, inclusive, all-inclusive, all-including, all-embracing; thorough, thoroughgoing, exhaustive, complete; out-and-out, entire, radical, Inf. wall-to-wall; universal, catholic, worldwide, nationwide, global, cosmopolitan; wide-ranging, far-reaching; infinite, unlimited, unbounded, unrestricted, boundless; wholesale, indiscriminate.
3. lengthy, protracted, prolonged, elongated, sustained; long, longish, overlong, long-drawn; drawn out, dragged out, spun out, strung out; prolix, diffusive, diffuse; interminable, without end.
4. large, large-scale, big, bulky, great; substantial, considerable, sizeable; generous, liberal; immense, vast, massive; gigantic, huge, gargantuan, enormous, colossal, stupendous.
extent, n. 1. magnitude, measure, degree, quantity, amount, fullness; capacity, volume, proportions, dimensions, size, gauge, bulk, content; period, duration, term, continuance; breadth, width, depth, broadness, wideness, height, length; arena, sphere, region, territory; field, tract, distance; stretch, spread, reach, span; district, circuit, area; scope, range, play, compass, swing, sweep; limit, limitation, bounds, borders; latitude, longitude.
2. expanse, space, extension, expansion; spaciousness, amplitude, vastness, immensity, capaciousness, largeness; open space, free space, clearing, opening.
extenuate, v. 1. make less serious, play down, downplay, gloze, smooth over; gloss over, whitewash, cover up, varnish; paint a better picture of, palliate, mitigate, soften; temper, moderate, tone down; attenuate, weaken, lessen, diminish; reduce, decrease, dilute, minimize; make allowances for, apologize for, excuse; rationalize, justify, qualify; refine, rarefy.
2. underestimate, underrate, make light of, Inf. kid about; disregard, condone, overlook, downgrade.
extenuation, n. mitigation, palliation, tempering, softening, gloss, playing down; varnish, whitewash, coverup; underestimation, downgrading; explanation, interpretation, rationalization.
exterior, adj. 1. outer, external, outside; extrinsic, outward, outdoor, outlying; peripheral, superficial, surface; extraneous, foreign, aline.
-n. 2. appearance, aspect, demeanor, mien, face; surface, integument, skin, covering, shell, facade; outside, externals, superficiality.