4. invite, bid, summon, beckon, request one's presence.
5. ask for provoke, incite, inspire, encourage, instigate, induce; actuate, occasion, bring on or about, bring to pass.
askance, adv. 1. suspiciously, mistrustfully, distrustfully, dubiously, doubtfully; disapprovingly, unapprovingly, disdainfully, scornfully, askew.
2. sideways, obliquely, indirectly, evasively, slyly, out of the corner of one's eye, with a side glance; askance, askant, asquint; at an angle, aslant, slantwise, at a slant, slantingly, crookedly,
askew, adv. 1. awry, sideways, to one side, crook
edly, out of line.
2. disapprovingly, unapprovingly, askance; disdainfully, scornfully, contemptuously, derisively. -adj. 3. crooked, awry, SI. cock-eyed,
aslant, adv. 1. slantwise, at a slant, slantingly, sideways, obliquely, at an angle; aslope, at a slope, diagonally, crossways, crosswise.
-adj. 2. slanting, slant, slantwise, oblique, diagonal, sloping, aslope, at an angle.
-prep. 3. slanting across, athwart, from side to
asleep, adv. 1. fast asleep, sound asleep, dead
asleep, in or into a deep sleep, in or into a coma.
-adj. 2. sleeping, resting, reposing, slumbering, dozing, drowsing, Inf. snoozing, SI. logging z's; somnolent, soporose, soporous; dead to the world, Inf. out like a light, SI. sacked out; dreaming, in the arms of Morpheus; napping, catnapping; comatose, unconscious, anesthetized; hypnotized, in a swoon, in a trance, in a faint.
3. dormant, inactive, passive, idle, latent; quiet, quiescent, still, stock-still, Chiefly Brit, stilly; unmov-ing, immovable, immobile, motionless, unstirring, calm, becalmed; stagnant, inert, sluggish.
4. numb, benumbed, insensible.
5. lifeless, inanimate, dead; deceased, departed, at rest.
asp, n. adder, European viper, Egyptian cobra, horned viper, Archaeol. uraeus, venomous snake or serpent, krait.
aspect, n. 1. appearance, demeanor, mien, air, cast, look; countenance, visage, complexion, features, face, physiognomy, figure; bearing, attitude, presence, style, carriage, deportment.
2. nature, character, quality, property, attribute, feature; characteristic, trait, particularity, singularity.
3. view, viewpoint, standpoint, side, slant, angle, light, interpretation.
4. part, piece, segment, factor, phase.
5. outlook, prospect, exposure, direction; landscape, scene; side, surface.
asperity, n. 1. acrimony, acrimoniousness, causticity, mordancy, bitterness, acridity, acridness, pungency, venom, venomousness, venomness; astringency, severity, sternness, acerbity, austerity, stringency; harshness, sharpness, sourness, acidulousness, acidity, tartness; trenchancy, keenness, sarcasm, satire, irony; virulence, spite, spitefulness, malice, maliciousness, viciousness; peevishness, petulance, Rare, petulancy, Rare, procacity, crabbedness, testiness, touchiness, edginess; irascibility, irritability, crossness; ill-temperedness, ill temper, short-temperedness, ill-humoredness, ill humor.
2. animosity, resentment, grudge, hostility; indignation, pique, dudgeon; moroseness, sullenness, surliness, moodiness; rudeness, churlishness, boorishness, gracelessness, discourtesy; abusiveness, corrosiveness.