bedim, befog; blur, dull, dim; overcast, overcloud. 11. screen, veil, curtain, cloak, shroud, enshroud, Inf. cover up; hide, hide away, conceal; disguise, camouflage, mask.
shadow, n. 1. silhouette, adumbration, outline, reflection.
2. shade, shadiness. See - shade (def. 1).
3. shelter, protection, refuge, asylum, haven, sanctuary, sanctum, safety zone, Scot. bield; security, safety, safekeeping, preservation; help, aid, support, defense, championship.
4. hint, suggestion. See - shade (def. 5).
5. specter, phantom. See - shade (def. 2).
6. hint, intimation, suggestion, implication, imputation, insinuation, innuendo; inkling, clue, cue, SI. tip-off; signal, sign, omen, portent, foretoken, harbinger; premonition, preindication, forewarning, foreshadowing.
7. (all falsely assumed) semblance, aspect, appearance, demeanor, mien, cast, look; show, veneer, front, false front, fajade; guise, pretense, cover, cover-up; disguise, camouflage, mask, masquerade; deception, ruse, artifice, subterfuge.
8. influence, sway, domination, preeminence; atmosphere, environment, milieu, medium, condition; background, setting, sphere, element; spirit, tone, tenor, mood, aura, ambience; temper, character; feelings, SI. vibrations, SI. vibes; threat.
9. close friend, constant companion, sidekick, alter ego, other self, Scot. and North Eng. marrow, SI. Siamese twin; comrade, chum, crony, Fr. Inf. copain, U.S. Inf. buddy or bosom buddy, Inf. pal, Obs. copemate. 10. detective, investigator, private investigator, SI. private eye, Inf. sleuth, Inf. bird dog, Inf. sherlock, Inf tail, U.S. Si. dick, U.S. SI. gumshoe.
-v. 11. shade. See - shade (defs. 9, 10). 12. follow* trail, trail after, heel, Inf. tail, SI. bird-dog; trace, track, stalk; pursue, chase, dog, hound. 13. hint, intimate, suggest, imply, insinuate; signal, signify, mean, betoken, indicate, point to, connote, allude to, advert. 14. portend, forebode, foretoken, foreshadow, foreshow, omen, augur, presage, presignify, preindicate, promise, body forth; warn, forewarn, warn in advance or beforehand or ahead of time.
shadowy, adj. 1. indistinct, indeterminate, indefinite, vague, nebulous; obscure, unclear, indistinguishable, ill-defined; opaque, dark, murky; dim, faint, feeble, pale, weak.
2. unsubstantial, impalpable, imponderable, intangible, immaterial; ethereal, vaporous, airy, air-built, cloud-built, gossamer, gossamery, gaseous; unreal, dreamlike, illusory, visionary, imaginary, figmental, hallucinatory, chimerical; spectral, ghostly, phantasmal, phantasmagorial, phantom, phantomlike, wraithlike.
3. shady. See - shady (def. 1).
shady, adj. 1. bowery, bosky, arbory; shaded, arbored.
2. dark, umbrageous, umbral, penumbral, obum-brate, Archaic, caliginous.
3. shadowy. See - shadowy (defs. 1, 2).
4. Informal, of dubious character, disreputable, discreditable, dishonorable; dishonest, crooked, underhand, underhanded, not kosher; devious, invidious, shifty, tricky, evasive, slippery.
5. on the shady side of Informal, (all in reference to age) past, beyond, more than, older than; on the wrong side of, on the other side, on the dark side of.