unattached, adj. 1. unconnected, disconnected, disjoined, detached, apart, separate; unfastened, unlocked, unhooked, unlatched, unhasped, unclasped, unpinned, unbuttoned, unbuckled, undone; untied, unhitched, unleashed, untethered, unchained, unshackled, on the loose, at liberty, at large, scot-free, off the hook; loose, adrift, floating, in suspension.
2. independent, unaffiliated, unassociated, autonomous, autonomic, on one's own, self-sustained, selfsupported, self-employed, in business for oneself; self-reliant, self-governing, self-ruling, self-legislating, selfcontrolled, noncolonial, allodial; freethinking, unorthodox, heterodox, heretic, heretical, iconoclastic; rationalistic, materialistic, positivistic.
3. single, unmarried, unwed, unwedded, spouseless, mateless, husbandless; old-maidish, spinsterish, wifeless, bachelorly; widowed, divorced, separated, misog-amic; unengaged, unbetrothed, unpromised, unplighted, uncommitted, unspoken for, datable; heart-free, heart-whole, foot-loose and fancy-free; free, available, untaken, unaccompanied, unescorted, without a date; alone, lone, by oneself, lonely, friendless, without a friend in the world.
unattended, adj. 1. without an audience, sparsely attended, playing to an empty house, unappreciated.
2. unaccompanied, not associated with, off the beaten track.
3. lone, alone, solo, unescorted, Inf. stag, without a partner, companionless; on one's own, solitary, separate, apart, single; lonely, lonesome, all by one's lonesome.
4. not cared for, unwatched, untended, left alone, left to fend for oneself; ignored, neglected, disregarded, forgotten, forsaken, abandoned.
5. unheeded, overlooked; out of sight, out of mind; undone, slighted, passed by or over, cast aside, filed away, shelved, pigeonholed, postponed, deferred.
unauthorized, adj. uncertified, unaccredited, unlicensed, Eccles. unordained; unofficial, unapproved, unsanctioned, uncountenanced, wildcat; unwarranted, unpermitted, unallowed, outlawed, prohibited, banned, forbidden, proscribed, interdicted, Fr. d^fendu, Ger. verboten; illegal, unlawful, illicit, unconstitutional, illegitimate, Sl. illegit, criminal, wrong, bad, Law. felonious; backdoor, under-the-counter, under-the-table, underhand, underhanded, black-market, contraband; secret, secretive, hush-hush, furtive, sneaky, covert, clandestine, concealed.
unavailing, adj. vain, futile, useless, bootless, ineffective, inefficacious, Sisyphean; unsuccessful, Inf. no go, to no avail, to no purpose, for naught; fruitless, unproductive, abortive, barren, sterile, impotent, effete; worthless, valueless, unserviceable, impracticable, inoperative, invalid; unprofitable, profitless, gainless, unrewarding, unremunerative, unpaying, thankless.
unavoidable, adj. inescapable, ineludible, inevasible, ineluctible; inexorable, unpreventable, irresistible, irrevocable, indefeasible; compulsory, required, obligatory, imperative, ordained; inevitable, bound to happen or come, impending, just around the corner, just a moment away; predestined, destined, fated, uncontrollable, out of one's hands, Inf. in the cards, Inf. in the stars; predetermined, determined, decided, settled, fixed, firm, unalterable, unchangeable; certain, definite, sure, as sure as death or as death and taxes, Inf. for sure; assured, secured, clinched, Inf. in the bag; obvious, evident, plain, clear, undeniable, indubitable, unquestionable, incontestable, indisputable, irrefutable, apodictic, incontrovertible.
unaware, adj. unknowing, ignorant, unenlightened, incognizant, unacquainted; unconscious, insensible; off one's guard, napping, asleep; blinded, oblivious,