smoke; swoop down upon, blitz, charge, rampage, tear, stampede, rip.
-n. 6. stroke, swipe, move, movement, motion, action.
7. drive, thrust, push; swoop, fell swoop, blow, attack, blitz; charge, rampage, stampede.
8. curvature, curvation, roundness, roundedness, bending, flexure; incurvation, incurvature, arcuation, Pathol, cyrtosis; curve, bend, arch, arc, vault, Archit. extrados; incurve, camber, crescent, lunule, lune, menscus, half-moon, horseshoe, U.S. oxbow; lap, round, turn, loop, circle, circuit, cycle, orbit, revolution.
9. compass, swing, scope, range, breadth, width; reach, stretch, spread, span, extent, area; space, room, play, elbowroom. sweeping, adj. 1. broad, wide, widespread, extensive, expansive, far-reaching, panoramic, bird's-eye, Inf. wall-to-wall; inclusive, inclusory, nonexclusive, unlimited, indiscriminate; general, universal, worldwide, pandemic, all-embracing, catholic, ecumenical; umbrella, blanket, comprehensive, all-inclusive, liberal; encyclopedic, voluminous, exhaustive.
2. (of the outcome of a contest) overwhelming, decisive, final; complete, total, full, thorough, thoroughgoing, out-and-out, outright, sheer; absolute, plenary, unconditional, unqualified.
-n. 3. sweepings dirt, dust, offscourings, filth, ashes, cinders; leavings, remains, residue, scum, scoria, slag, dross; leftovers, orts, crumbs, bits and pieces, shreds, fragments, odds and ends, junk, rummage; litter, debris, rubbish, rubble, refuse, trash, throwaways. sweet, adj. 1. sugary, sweetened, honeyed, honey, honey-sweet, confectionary; candied, nectared, nectar-eous, nectarean, saccharine.
2. fresh, pure, refreshing, wholesome, clean; appetizing, flavorous, flavorsome, delicious; good, tasty, palatable, delectable, saporous.
3. sweet-sounding, mellifluous, dulcet, melodious. See sweet-sounding.
4. fragrant, perfumed, sweet-smelling. See sweet-scented.
5. pleasing, pleasant, pleasurable, enjoyable, to one's liking, to one's fancy, to one's taste.
6. amiable, gracious, likeable, pleasant, good-natured, Scot. and North Eng., Irish Eng. sonsy; congenial, Scot. couthie, Ger. gemlitlich, complaisant; gracious, genial, polite, cordial, courteous, accommodating; amicable, friendly, neighborly, sociable.
7. appealing, attractive, comely, beautiful, elegant; bewitching, entrancing, charming, captivating, seductive, glamorous, alluring.
8. dear, beloved, dearest, loved, precious, treasured, cherished, valued, prized; favorite, pet, favored, darling.
9. sentimental, treacly, sickening, cloying; syrupy, sickeningly sweet, Inf. buttery; overdone, cutesy, too nice.
10. sweet on Informal, infatuated with, in love with, taken with, SI. stuck on, gone on, keen on or about, wild about, mad about, head over heels in love with. sweeten, v. 1. make sweet, dulcify; candy, sugar, sugar-coat; mull.
2. soften, make mild, milden, mellow; make tender, make kind; mollify, pacify, appease, soothe, solace; alleviate, relieve, mitigate, palliate, allay, solace, assuage, ease, abate; temper, moderate.
3. purify, cleanse, disinfect, Chem. edulcorate; freshen, deodorize; ventilate, aerate, air.
- This/that/it is the first/second/third/fourth/etc
This/that/it is the only . . .
This/that/it is the best/worst/finest/most interesting/etc
- This is the first time (that) I've heard her sing.
That's the third time you've asked me that question.
It's one of the most interesting books I've ever read.
- It was the third time he had been in love that year.
(NOT . . . ihe third time he was . . .)