sie, mademoiselle, damsel, maiden, maid, slip, sprig, chin, street urchin, puppy, Inf. snip, Inf. minx,
sprite, mite, Inf. chit; tomboy, hoyden, teeny-bopper, juxtapose, v. appose, Rare, juxtaposit, place or set
jail bait; boy, schoolboy, young man, scion, lad, jun- or put side by side, place parallel, place near, bring
ior, cadet, cub, stripling, fledgling, sapling, whelp; near; compare, put alongside; pair, partner, match,
whipper-snapper, juvenile delinquent, J.D.; brat, ur- collocate.
kaleidoscopic, adj. 1. motley, variegated, many-colored, dappled, rainbow-like, many-splendored; changeable, mutable, mobile, variable, alterable; ever-changing, protean, checkered; labile, unstable, unsteady, inconstant; vacillating, wavering, fluctuating, shifting, ever-moving; capricious, erratic.
2. surrealistic, hallucinatory, psychedelic, phantasmagoric, nightmarish, Kafkaesque, Inf. wild, Sl. far-out.
3. complex, intricate, daedal, complicated, convoluted, topsy-turvy; varied, tumbled, confused, disordered, disarranged.
kaput, adj. Slang, dead, defunct, expired, passed away, extinct, no more; finished, all over, over, Sl. washed-up, Sl. done for, Sl. fini, Sl. shot, Sl. zapped, Sl. wiped out, Sl. had it, Sl. down the drain, Sl. S.O.L., Sl. eighty-sixed; demolished, ruined, destroyed, wrecked, undone, Inf. done in. keel, n. 1. (all of a boat) bottom, bottom side, un
derside; board, centerboard, keelson.
2. barge, raft, float; ship, boat, vessel, bark, craft, hull, hulk, packet, watercraft, Sl. tub, Sl. bucket.
-v. 3. overturn, upset, capsize, overset, tip over, topple over; turn turtle, turn upside down, turn topsyturvy.
4. keel over faint, swoon, fall in a faint, fall senseless, Inf. pass out, black out, go out like a light.
keen1, adj. 1. sharp, razor-sharp, sharpened, edged, sharp-edged, knife-edged, fine-edged, featheredged.
2. cogent, penetrating, piercing, incisive, pointed, rapier-like; trenchant, mordant, mordacious, pungent; cutting, biting, stinging, scathing, scorching, withering; satirical, sardonic, mocking, derisive, derisory, insulting; harsh, severe, stringent, rough; unkind, uncharitable, malicious, malevolent, malignant, cruel; virulent, bitter, acrimonious, acrid, acid, acerb, acer
bic, rancorous, venomous, envenomed, tart.
3. acute, sensitive, discerning, discriminating, perceptive; conscious, cognizant, aware, sentient, sensible, comprehending, understanding; sympathetic, responsive, Sl. in tune, Sl. tuned-in.
4. astute, wise, sagacious, sapient; intelligent, smart, bright, Inf. brainy; quick, quick-witted, sharp-witted, smart as a whip, knowing, Inf. nobody's fool, Inf. no dummy, Sl. no dumbbell; shrewd, clever, subtle, crafty, canny, cunning, sly, slick, wily, foxy, Sl. crazy like a fox, Scot. and North Eng. pawky.
5. intent, earnest, diligent, assiduous; enterprising, aggressive, ambitious, hustling; energetic, vigorous, dynamic, kinetic; animated, lively, spirited, high-spirited, vivacious, lusty, active, Sl. go-go; All Inf. snappy, zippy, peppy, full of pep, full of get up and go.