swirl, v. 1. whirl, eddy, gurge; swish around, move around, stir around, churn, agitate; circulate, rotate, turn, circumrotate, revolve, circumrevolve, circle, move in a circle, gyrate, spin around.
2. twist, spin, coil, spiral, convolute, convolve, roll, curl, furl, involute; incurve, curve; reel, wind, wind around, unwind.
-n. 3. whirl, eddy, whirlpool, gurge, maelstrom; circulation, rotation, turn, circumrotation, revolution, circumvolution, volution, circling; moving around, gyration, gyre, spin, spinning.
4. twist, coil, turbination, spiral, helix, corkscrew, twirl, convolution, Zool. volute, whorl, curl, curlicue.
5. curve, incurvation, incurvature, excurvature, ex-curvation; sinuosity, winding, sinuation, sinus; bend, flexure, turn, crook, tortuosity, flexuosity, anfractu-osity.
6. confusion, disorder, disarray, confusedness, jumble, mess; stir, commotion, fuss, fuss and feathers, Inf. to-do, bustle, flurry, excitement, agitation, unrest; disturbance, trouble, upheaval, turmoil, tumult, turbulence, storm, tempest.
swish, v. 1. whish, whoosh, whiz, whistle, hiss, sibilate, whir, hum, buzz.
2. rustle, swoosh, sough, sigh, whisper, murmur.
3. swirl around, move around, stir around, agitate, swash around; splash, swash, dash against, wash, lap.
4. flourish, brandish, wave, swing, whisk.
5. take off, cut off, Inf. whack off, lop off, chop off, hack off, slice off.
6. flog, whip, switch. See - switch (def. 4).
-n. 7. whish, whishing, whoosh, whooshing, whiz, whizzing, whistle, whistling, hiss, hissing, sibilation; whir, whirring, hum, humming, buzz, buzzing, rushing sound; rustle, rustling, susurrus, swoosh, swooshing, sough, soughing, sigh, sighing, whisper, whispering, susurration, murmur, murmuring.
8. switch, stick, rod. See - switch (def. 1). switch, n. 1. rod, stick, swish, birch or birch rod, withe, willow twig, Chiefly Brit, osier; whip, lash, scourge, strap, belt, thong, rawhide, cat, cat-o'-ninetails.
2. (all of plants) shoot, bud, burgeon, sprout, sprig; stem, twig, small branch; offshoot, Bot. runner, Bot. stolon, Bot. sucker; scion, cutting, slip, Hort. graft.
3. change, change of direction, new tack, shift; turn, maneuver, swerve, sheer, deviation, divergence, detour; move, transfer, relocation, reassignment; reversal, Inf. flip-flop, U-turnS/. U-ie, about-face, turnabout, turnaround, 360 degree turn, pirouette.
-v. 4. hit, strike, beat, whip, Southern U.S. whup, thrash, lash, swish, birch, scourge, flagellate, horsewhip; curry, strap, thresh, flail, cowhide, spank, Brit. Dial, yerk, Inf. tan [s.o.'s] hide.
5. cast, throw, whisk, swing, sweep, move, wave, flourish, brandish, swish.
6. exchange, change, replace, substitute, swap, trade, barter; interchange, transpose, invert, commute, permute.
7. turn, veer, curve, bend, bear off, go off; swerve, shift, sheer, divert, deviate, detour, make a detour, go around; change course or direction, tack, Naut. jibe; reverse, Inf. flip-flop, about-face, do a turnaround or turnabout, make a U-turn, SI. pull a U-ie.