good shot, crack shot, dead shot, SI. deadeye.
4. attempt, effort, endeavor, go, try, Inf. the old college try, Inf. stab, Inf. crack, Inf. whack.
5. comment, remark, statement, utterance, word, pot shot, SI. cheap shot, SI. low blow.
6. guess, conjecture, supposition, assumption, presumption, hypothesis, postulate, See - shot (def. 15).
7. injection, booster, booster shot, inoculation, vaccine, vaccination; dose, overdose, SI. fix, SI. hit, SI. bang.
8. (all of liquor) drink, nip, spot, tot, jigger, Inf. finger or two; sip, sup, Inf. swig, Inf. swill, Inf. pull, Inf. snort, Inf. jolt; swallow, Inf. slug, Inf. guzzle, Inf. gargle.
9. photograph, Inf. photo, picture, snapshot, Inf. snap, Inf. candid.
10. wager, gamble, bet, risk, hazard, chance; venture, speculation, Inf. flier, Inf. plunge, Brit. Inf. birl; pot luck, blind bargain, sight-unseen transaction, pig in a poke.
a long shot a. far and away, by far, by a great deal; indubitably, undoubtedly, unquestionably, incontestably, without doubt or question, Inf. in everybody's book.
b. by no means, under no circumstances, on no account, not in the least, not at all, never, noway, nowise, Inf. nohow, SI. forget it; nowhere near, not nearly.
12. call the shots Slang, direct, administer, dispose, make decisions, run the show, quarterback, Inf. call the plays; dominate, domineer, boss, ride herd on; control, regulate, rule, rule the roost; be in command, be in control, be in the driver's seat or saddle, be at the helm, have the upper hand, hold all the cards, Inf. wear the pants or trousers.
13. like a shot like a flash, with the speed of light, Inf. like greased lightning, Inf. like a house afire; instantly, instantaneously, immediately; quickly, hastily, hurriedly; swiftly, speedily.
14. shot in the arm Slang, stimulus, incentive, impetus, fillip, provocative, motive, whet; incitement, inducement, instigation, excitement, provocation, motivation, encouragement.
15. shot in the dark Slang, wild guess, random, guess, pot shot, SI. guesstimate. See - shot (def. 6).
shot2, adj. 1. (all of textiles) variegated, varicolored, multicolored, many-colored.
2. ruined, wrecked, beyond repair; dead, defunct; spent, exhausted, worn-out, Inf. used-up; All SI. sunk, cooked, kaput, fini, done in, done for, SOL.
shoulder, n. 1. projection, protuberance, protrusion, prominence, salient, abutment; shelf, shelve, ledge, sill, hob, mantel, mantelpiece.
2. put one's shoulder to the wheel strive, endeavor, apply oneself, exert oneself; set to work, roll up one's sleeves, get busy, Inf buckle down, Inf knuckle down.
3. rub shoulders with hobnob with, mingle with, mix with, associate with, keep company with, touch elbows with, Inf take up with, Inf. hang around or out with, Inf pal around with.
4. shoulder to shoulder jointly, together, cooperatively, in cooperation, in partnership; side by side, arm in arm, cheek by jowl, back to back, hand in hand; in unison, in close harmony, in company with.
5. straight from the shoulder directly, straightfor wardly, frankly, candidly, man-to-man, heart-to-heart; plainly, explicitly, unequivocally, unambiguously; freely, boldly, outspokenly, unabashedly, uninhibitedly; bluntly, bluffly, brusquely, tactlessly, -v. 6. push, shove, jostle, See - shove (def. 2).
7. carry, take up, bear; support, maintain, sustain, brace, prop, uphold, hold up, keep up; bolster, rein-