choleric, churlish, captious, contradictory, disagreeable; cantankerous, captious, irascible, irritable; contrary, dyspeptic, bad-tempered, ill-humored; frettish, petulant, peevish, querulous, grouchy; cross, cranky, testy, snappish, Inf. ugly, Inf mean, Inf. ornery, waspish; touchy, pettish, splenetic, difficult; thin-skinned, cross-grained, quick to take offense. quarry1, n. 1. excavation, pit, mine, strip mine. -v. 2. quarry, mine, strip mine. quarry2, n. game, hunted animal or bird, prey, raven, the hunted, object of the chase, victim, the kill, quarter, n. 1. one fourth, a fourth part; quarter-hour; one fourth of a year or three months; half a semester, quarter term; twenty-five cents, SI. two bits.
2. point, direction, compass point or direction.
3. country, region, district, zone, province; area, parts, Inf. neck of the woods, part of the country; territory, tract of land, land, terrain; place, locality, section, neighborhood, block.
4. quarters a. lodgings, lodging, lodging place, lodgment, living quarters, quarterage, rooms, accommodations, housing, shelter, roof over one's head, Inf. pad, Inf. crash pad, Chiefly Brit. Inf. diggings, Brit. Inf. digs; home, abode, domicile, domicil, residence, residency, dwelling, dwelling place, habitation, habitat, inhabitance, inhabitancy; flat, apartment, tenement, rent, walk-up, cold-water flat, Brit, chambers, Brit, apartments, Chiefly Brit, maisonette; penthouse, townhouse, suite, story, condominium, Inf. condo; chamber, room, stall, cell, cabin, compartment; nook, nest, roost, perch; address, location, situation, whereabouts, place, b. Military, barracks, billet, casern, cantonment, military quarters, SI. the Q.
5. mercy, indulgence, favor, clemency, forgiveness, pardon, grace; mercifulness, compassion, compassionateness, Latin, misericordia, pity, humaneness, humanity, leniency, lenity, sparingness, mildness. -v. 6. quadrisect, cut or divide into quarters; cut up, carve, divide into sections, section, split up.
7. board, furnish with lodgings, Inf. put up, house, billet, lodge, accommodate, bed, give food and shelter, put a roof over [s.o.'s] head.
8. station, assign, locate, post, place, situate.
9. lodge, take up quarters, take up residence, abide, dwell, live, stay, take root, settle down; make camp, encamp, pitch one's tent, Inf. park oneself and one's belongings. quash1, v. 1. subdue, suppress, squelch, Inf. put the kibosh on, squash, vanquish; quell, quench, stamp out, put down, repress, crush; terminate, put an end to, dissolve, stop; overthrow, overwhelm, overturn, subvert, defeat, conquer, overcome.
2. annihilate, exterminate, extinguish, extirpate, eradicate, obliterate; destroy, demolish, devastate; expunge, efface, wipe out, blot out, erase, delete, cancel, strike out. quash2, v. 1. annul, disannul, nullify, declare null and void, render null and void, void, avoid; vacate, vitiate, invalidate, disenact, disestablish; cancel, discharge; supersede, set aside; repeal, revoke, rescind, reverse, abrogate, abolish; discontinue, break off, Law. nol-pros, suspend, stop, cease.
2. recant, retract, abjure, unsay, recall; withdraw, take back, undo; renounce, repudiate, deny, disclaim, disown, relinquish, abnegate, disavow; countermand, counterorder, overrule, override; veto, negate.
3. terminate, put an end to, bring to an end, dissolve; discard, dismiss, cast aside. quasi, adj. 1. resembling, seeming, apparent; partial, part, kind of, sort of, Inf. semi; pseudo, pretend