lay2, adj. 1. laic, nonclerical, nonordained, non-ministerial; profane, nonreligious, nonecclesiastical; mundane, temporal, earthly, worldly, common, ordinary.
2. nonprofessional, dilettante, dilettantish, proletarian, plebian; unschooled, untaught, amateur.
lay3, n. poem, lyric, epode, canzone, canzona, ballade, ballata, rhyme, rime, canto; song, strain, air, descant, refrain, canzonet, roundelay; ballad, lied, cantata, canticle, Music, cantus firmus, carol; art song, ditty, madrigal, recitative,
layer, n. 1. skin, shell, rind, peel; membrane, Anat., Zool. cortex, lamella, pellicle; integument, tegument, tegmen; scale, flake, lamina; lamination, laminate.
2. sliver, splinter, shive, shaving; slice, rasher, cutting, cut, slab, piece; plate, wafer, disc; pane, panel, plank, board.
3. cover, covering, blanket, mantle, cloak, curtain, mask; sheet, carpet, coat, coating, film, gloss, veneer, finish; overcoat, overcoating, overlay; wrapping, envelope, lining, casing; course, coping, cap; flap, fold.
4. story, tier, floor, level, stratum, stratification, substratum; band, belt, zone; ridge, Geol. esker.
5. Horiculture. shoot, sprout, runner, tendril, graft; branch, spray, switch, twig, stem, limb, bough.
lay figure, n. 1. artist's model, model, figure, figurine, puppet, doll; image, effigy.
2. mannequin, manikin, dummy, dressmaker's model.
3. nonentity, nobody, nothing, cipher, insignificancy, jackstraw, little fellow, Inf. little guy, man on the street, John Doe, Inf. small fry, Sl. small fish, SI. neb-bish, Sl. Joe Blow or Joe Doakes.
layman, n. laic, parishioner, one of the flock or assembly; nonprofessional, catechumen, dilettante, amateur.
layoff, n. dismissal, discharge, firing, sacking; unemployment, hard times, lean times, depression,
layout, n. 1. arrangement, disposal, spread; plan, design, outline; chart, blueprint, map, sketch, display.
2. collection, set, group, aggregation, Inf. bunch, Inf. bundle; Inf setup,
layover, n. stopover, stop, stay, stayover, overnight stop or stay; rest, pause, break, interruption, delay,
laze, v. 1. idle, loaf, lounge, do nothing, Inf. lally-gag; lie around, lounge around, loll around, stand around, hang around or about, loiter around or about, Brit. Dial, lollop around, Sl. goof off, Sl. sit on one's butt or duff.
2. pass time, while away the hours, waste time, kill time, consume time; trifle, fritter, fool away, waste precious hours.
laziness, n. 1. idleness, indolence, slothfulness, sloth, faineance, do-nothingness, otiosity; unin-dustriousness, unenterprisingness, unambitiousness, want or lack of ambition or enterprise, nonaggressiveness; listlessness, Dial, limpsiness, lackadaisicalness, insouciance, pococurantism; shiftlessness, worthlessness, good-for-nothingness; slackness, laxity, remissness, negligence, neglectfulness, carelessness.