check, arrest, abort, prevent, preclude; detain, stay, delay, retard; restrain, inhibit, constrain, repress; frustrate, thwart, foil.
intercession, n. 1. mediation, agency, good offices, mediatorship; intermediation, intervention, interposition, interjacence; negotiation, arbitration, parley; reconciliation, propitiation, pacification, appeasement.
2. entreaty, supplication, prayer, orison, implora-tion, obtestation, interpellation; suit, petition, plea, bid, invocation, beseechment, solicitation.
intercessor, n. intermediary, middleman, go-between, intermediate, intermedium, Sl. connection; mediator, negotiator, arbitrator, moderator, umpire, referee, judge, Sl. ump, Sl. ref; interceder, intervener, internuncio, interagent; peacemaker, reconciler, propitiator, appeaser, pacificator, marriage counselor.
interchange, v. 1. substitute, counterchange, replace, supplant, supersede, transfer; transpose, change, change places, switch; permute, commute, shuffle, (chess) castle; convert, change money.
2. exchange, trade, trade off, swap, swop, barter, give and take, bandy, truck; reciprocate, return, return the compliment, rejoin, respond, pay back, requite.
3. alternate, vary, intermit, rotate; seesaw, take turns, come and go.
-n. 4. exchange, trade, trading, swap, swop, barter, commerce; reciprocation, reciprocity, give and take, mutuality, interplay, cross fire; transposal, transposition, metathesis, change, switch, commutation, permutation, shuffle; measure for measure, an eye for an eye, tit for tat, quid pro quo, (chess) castling, (tennis) rally, battledore and shuttlecock; substitution, replacement, supplanting, transference, transferal, supersession.
5. alteration, variation, rotation; intermittence, succession, periodicity, reoccurrence, cycle, run, round.
interchangeable, adj. exchangeable, transposable, Rhet. metathetical, synonymous; correlative, comparable, equivalent, equal, even, corresponding; standard, uniform; changeable, convertible, commutable, permutable, returnable; reciprocative, reciprocal, mutual.
interchangeably, adv. exchangeably, mutually, reciprocally; in exchange, in return, Fr. au pair; vice versa, conversely, correspondently, equivalently, equally, synonymously, metathetically; by turns, in turn, turn about, turn and turn about, each in its turn.
intercourse, n. 1. dealings, trade, commerce, traffic, Inf. truck, business, affairs; buying and selling, trading, wholesaling, trafficking, Inf. wheeling and dealing, jobbing.
2. interchange, reciprocity, exchange, interplay, give and take; communication, connection, liaison, contact, congress, union; correspondence, communion, intercommunion; speaking, talking, conversation, speech, discourse; interlocution, colloquy, Sl. rapping.
3. coitus, coition, sexual relations, sexual union or congress; mating, Archaic, venery, copulation, carnal knowledge, Sl. humpery; love-making, act of love, intimacy.
interdict, n. 1. prohibition, proscription, interdiction, outlawry, forbiddance, Latin, interdictum; disallowance, injunction, restraint, restraining order, preclusion, exclusion; ban, embargo, veto, countermand, taboo; suppression, repression,, censorship.
-v. 2. forbid, prohibit, disallow, ban, veto, rule out; countermand, abrogate, inhibit, shut out; restrict, restrain, bar, stop, issue an injunction; outlaw, proscribe, taboo, preclude, exclude; impede, prevent, obstruct, hinder; repress, suppress, censor.