bulk, n. 1. magnitude, extent, mass, substance, matter; dimensions, density, thickness; quantity, volume, weight, heft, size, measure.
2. massiveness, immensity, hugeness, largeness, bigness; bulkiness, corpulence, corpulency, fatness, fleshiness, portliness.
3. greater part, better part, majority, body, nearly all, preponderance, lion's share.
bulky, adj. 1. massive, immense, vast, ponderous; huge, enormous, colossal, mammoth, titanic, elephantine, monstrous, prodigious; large, big, great, substantial, goodly.
2. stout, thickset, full-figured; obese, fat, corpulent, overweight; chubby, tubby, pudgy, plump; rotund, portly, paunchy, potbellied, abdominous.
3. unwieldy, cumbersome, awkward, gross; hulky, hulking, clumsy, ungainly, ungraceful, lubberly, lumpish.
bullet, n. slug, pellet, ball, missile, projectile,
bulletin, n. 1. news report, news, announcement, statement, flash; communication, notification, information, intelligence, tidings, word; communique, dispatch, telegram, aviso.
2. pamphlet, handbill, dodger, throwaway, flyer, leaflet; brochure, circular, folder, program; broadside, broadsheet, poster, placard.
3. summary, monograph, compendium, abstract; symposium, compilation, conspectus, analysis, recapitulation; outline, review, prospectus.
bully, n. 1. browbeater, hector, ruffian, intimidator, SI. bulldozer, Inf. terror, coercer, dictator, oppressor, despot, tyrant, hard taskmaster, Simon Legree.
2. blusterer, roisterer, vaporer, ranter, raver, rowdy,
U.S. tough; (all usually of women) fury, hellcat, shrew, scold, vixen.
-v. 3. intimidate, browbeat, overawe, cow, daunt, dismay, frighten, terrify, petrify, put the fear of the Lord into, scare, disconcert; domineer, overbear, lord it over, Inf. pull rank, override, ride roughshod over, Inf. push around, Inf. kick around, trample, tread on, Inf. walk all over [s.o.]; tyrannize, terrorize, threaten, coerce, exact, compel, lay down the law to, bulldoze, dragoon; hector, torment, harass, abuse, taunt, tease, bullyrag.
4. swagger, bluster, roister, bluff, rant, rave, rage, thunder, storm, SI. showboat. -interj. 5. Informal, good, well done, great, neat, nifty, right on, boffo.
bulwark, n. rampart, redoubt, bastion, demilune, redan, ravelin; fortification, breastwork, outwork; wall, fence, palisade, barricade, barrier; abutment, embankment, bank, buffer, buttress, damn, dike, levee,
bum, n. 1. Informal, derelict, drunkard, drunk, SI. stiff, SI. wino, SI. rummy; beggar, mendicant, Inf. panhandler; vagabond, drifter, vagrant, hobo, tramp; loafer, idler, beachcomber, wastrel, good-for-nothing, ne'er-do-well; cadger, sponger, scrounger, parasite.
2. Informal, debauch, carouse, bacchanal, orgy, saturnalia. See - carousal (def. 1).
-v. 3. Informal, borrow, cadge, sponge, SI. mooch, SI. hit, SI. hit up, SI. touch, SI. put the touch on; beg, scrounge; idle, laze, lounge, loaf, loaf around, Inf. bum around; wander, drift, tramp, hobo, vagabond; hitchhike, thumb.
-adj. 4. Slang, bad, poor, unsatisfactory, inferior, worthless, SI. crummy, SI. cheesy; wretched, miserable, Inf. rotten, Inf. lousy.
5. Slang, false, untrue, spurious, bogus, counterfeit, fabricated, trumped-up; misleading, deceptive, fallacious.