-v. 2. cream, whip, whip up; disturb, shake, shake i'.p, (of water, wine, etc.) roil or Chiefly U.S. rile; commove, agitate, convulse, upheave, heave, toss,
chute, n. 1. shaft, slide, funnel, gutter, channel, groove, Mach. race, Mach. raceway; course, way, waterway, conduit, culvert, Civ. Eng. aqueduct, duct; tube, pipe, main, hose, spout, gargoyle; flume, sluice, drain, Naut. scupper; ditch, dike, trench; trough, receptacle, hopper, sink.
2. waterfall, cataract; canyon, gorge, chasm, ravine, gulch, Western North Amer. coulee, watercourse, arroyo, couloir, gully,
cigarette, n. smoke, regular, king, king-size, filter, menthol; Inf butt, Inf. cig, Inf. ciggy, SI. weed, Si. fag, Si. coffin nail, SI. gasper, SI. cancer stick; (all marijuana) joint, reefer, SI. stick. See - reefer, cinch, n. 1. (all of horses) girth, girt, saddle band, surcingle; band, belt, girdle, strap. See - belt (def. 1).
2. Informal, tight grip, grasp, hold, clutch, grab, snatch.
3. Slang, something easy, Inf. snap, SI. child's play, SI. a breeze, duck soup, piece of cake, SI. a picnic, pushover, Inf. shoo-in, a sure thing.
-v. 4. gird, bind, girdle, begird, truss, belt. See - belt (def. 4).
cincture, n. 1. circular border, band, tie, collar; belt, ring, skirt, ribbon, fillet, garland.
2. encompassment, encincture, circumjacence, cir-cumambiance; walling in, hemming in, restriction, constriction, choking.
-v. 3. encircle, circle, gird, begird, girdle, surround, encincture, ring, environ, encompass,
cinder, n. 1. ash, spark, fleck; ember, coal, charcoal, clinker.
2. cinders remnants, remains, residue; soot, smut, dust, Chiefly Scot. and Brit, coom; sinters, scale, scoria, sphue.
cinema, n. 1. motion picture, cine, film, movie, moving picture, picture show, photoplay. Inf. flick; silent film, talking picture, SI. talkie; movies, films, pictures.
2. motion picture theatre, movie theatre, movie house, movie palace, cine, showcase, (formerly) nickelodeon.
cipher, n. 1. zero, naught, nothing, nil, aught, SI. goose egg.
2. number, numeral, integer, figure, digit; notation, symbol, sign.
3. nonentity, nobody, nonperson, unperson, obscurity, Inf. no account; nothing, naught, nullity, SI. zilch, SI. zip.
4. code, coded or secret message, secret writing; cryptograph, cryptogram, anagram, acrostic.
-v. 5. figure, compute, calculate, do arithmetic or
math, do sums; count, reckon, number, add, total,
6. code, decode, decipher, Inf. crack,
circle, n. 1. disk, round, roundlet, roundel, wheel;
ring, band, hoop, cordon, annulus; crown, coronet, diadem, halo, corona, aureole, wreath, garland; belt, Archaic, cincture, girth, cestus, baldric, cummerbund, sash; collar, necklace, neckband, fillet; bracelet,
circlet, armlet; arena, rink, circus; orb, ball, globe, knob, bulb, pellet, globule, sperule.
2. realm, sphere, dominion, domain, province; field, bailiwick, hub, niche; circumference, perimeter, periphery, radius, compass; ambit, scope, capacity, extent, reach, stretch; zone, theatre, area, range, bounds; region, section, quarter, district, division, department, precinct; vicinity, vicinage, neighborhood, purlieus, pale.
3. group, set, coterie, knot, ring, Inf. bunch, Inf.
My Account / Test History
- We'll be on holiday during/in August.
I woke up during/in the night.
- The shop's closed during the whole of August.
(NOT . . . in the whole of August.).
- He had some strange experiences during his military service.
(NOT . . . in his military service.).
I'll try to phone you during the meeting. (NOT . . . in the meeting.)