association, 1. alliance, league, coalition, union, guild, consortium, syndication, conspiracy, cabal; company, partnership, joint concern, corporation, amalgamation, combine, merger, monopoly, trust, alignment, bloc, cartel; society, organization, party, camorra; congregational, assemblage, group, band, team, troop; community, circle, club, fraternity, lodge, clan, set, clique.
2. friendship, friendliness, camaraderie, comradeship, sodality, intimacy, Inf. chumminess; companionship, fellowship, colleagueship, brotherhood, fraternization, consociation, esprit de corps.
3. affiliation, connection, connectedness, Genetics. linkage; relationship, relatedness, relation, kinship, affinity, similarity, likeness, resemblance, comparability, analogousness, analogy; membership, participation, cooperation, communication, intercourse, interchange, dealings, acquaintance with, knowledge of.
4. combination, compound, mixture, mingling, composite, whole; correlation, interdependency, interdependence, reciprocity, reciprocal relationship.
assort, v. classify, sort, type, group; rank, grade, graduate, rate, class, range; categorize, codify, bracket, index, tabulate, catalogue; file, list, alphabetize, number; segregate, sift, separate; distribute, parcel, allocate, assign, allot; array, marshal, dispose, place, position, arrange,
assorted, adj. 1. varied, mixed, diverse, various, of different kinds; miscellaneous, heterogeneous, motley, mixed-bag, diversified, variegated; multifarious, manifold, omnifarious.
2. matched, suited, coordinated, compatible, harmonized; classified, grouped, arranged, selected, sorted.
assortment, n. 1. collection, mixture, melange, miscellany, medley, mixed bag, potpourri, olio, olla-podrida; salmagundi, stew, ragout, goulash, hash; conglomeration, hodgepodge, jumble, farrago, gallimaufry, Chinese menu.
2. group, batch, set, lot; category, class, type, sort, denomination; level, grade, rank.
3. classification, arrangement, grouping, sorting; distribution, parceling, allotment, allocation, assigning.
assuage, v. 1. mitigate, relieve, ease, alleviate, palliate; moderate, temper, weaken, qualify; abate, lessen, diminish, lower, reduce.