20. gain, profit, net, realize a profit, make a profit, earn, win, bring in; glean, reap, Inf.take off the top.
21. authorize, approve, pass, sanction, ratify, legalize; give one's nod of approval, set one's seal to, Inf O.K., Chiefly U.S.
approbate; permit, allow, consent to, Inf.give the green light to orgo-ahead to.
22. settle, square, satisfy, liquidate, pay off, discharge; cancel debts, close an account, wipe off; balance, adjust, reckon.
23. pass over, skip over, leap over, hop over, jump over, vault over, bound over, bounce over, Inf.make.
clearance, n.1. clearing, opening, aperture, pas
sage; space, hole, gap; separation, interspace, interval; slit, split, break, crack.
2. leeway, margin, allowance; headroom, headway, elbowroom, room to spare, Naut.
clear-cut, adj.1. definite, explicit, detailed, precise, exact, fixed, distinct, well-defined, express; unambiguous, unmistakable, unconfused, unequivocal; lucid, clear, plain, perspicuous, understandable, intelligible, comprehensible, perceptible, discernible, apprehensible. 2. obvious, apparent, evident, transparent, Inf.baldfaced; manifest, palpable, patent; graphic, vivid, striding, conspicuous, salient; certain, sure, positive, unqualified, unconditional; absolute, categorical, downright, out-and-out, flat, undeniable,
clearheaded, adj.1. astute, discerning, perceptive, penetrating, piercing; perspicacious, percipient, discriminating, appercipient; bright, smart, sharp, shrewd, keen, quick, Inf.quick on the trigger; sagacious, sapient, wise.
2. alert, wide-awake, aware, Inf.heads-up, Inf.on the ball, Inf.on the stick, Inf.on one's toes, SI. nobody's fool; observant, on the watch, on the alert, on the lookout; heedful, mindful, careful, cautious, wary, chary; attentive, vigilant, watchful, Argus-eyed, on the qui vive; eagle-eyed, hawk-eyed, lynx-eyed, sharp-eyed.
3. lucid, rational, sane, reasonable, sound, clear-thinking, clear-sighted, level-headed; judicious, prudent, wise, sober, circumspect; thoughtful, sensible, intelligent, reasonable; comprehending, thinking, knowing, cognitive; long-sighted, far-sighted, far-seeing, long-headed; resourceful, creative, imaginative.
4. composed, collected, calm, steady; untroubled, undisturbed, unperturbed, unshaken, unruffled, unexcited; poised, self-possessed, self-restrained, coolheaded, tranquil, serene, placid.
clearing, n.1. clearance, opening, passage; open space, open field, glade, cleared land; expanse, tract, patch of land, felled forest, tilled field.
2. extrication, disentanglement, disengagement, loosing, unraveling; acquittal, discharging, releasing; liberation, emancipation, freeing; vindication, exoneration, exculpation, justification.
3. clarification, refinement, purification; cleaning, flushing; brightening, becoming fair.
4. eradication, elimination, voidance, annulment; liquidation, settlement.
1. distinctly, starkly, patently, palpably; noticeably, visibly, conspicuously, discernibly, apparently, recognizably, perceptibly, observably; manifestly, overtly, markedly, pronouncedly, prominently; in full view, in plain sight, before one's eyes, to the eye, obviously, evidently, to all appearances; transparently, openly, plainly; on the face of it, at the first blush, at first sight, prima facie, seemingly.